Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I was sixteen going on seventeen......

My sister in law just turned 16 this week. Happy Birthday sweetie! It brought me back to when I was 16 years old. Here's what I remember:

1. My favorite movie at the time was Benny and Joon. It was my first Johnny Depp film and it began the obsession. Dont worry, Jared knows. 
2. I was so sure I would marry my boyfriend Mark Meadows.... it didnt work out. It also didnt work out with Mike Billings, Brad Fincher and John something, all of whom I dated at 16. I dated ALOT..... 
3. I just knew my mother and I would drive each other crazy. We were either best friends or worst enemies during this time of my life. Being a teenager was hard. Raising one was MUCH harder. I love you mom!
4. I was the volleyball queen in my school, following in my mother's and grandmother's shoes. I wanted to be on that court more than anything. I miss it so much. I won MVP out of about a hundred other girls in a tournament that year and its the only trophy I still have to this day. 
5. I had a really hard time in school with the girls. They didn't like me much. I switched schools three times that year. Probably the worst time in my whole life. 
6. I was one of two girls in my young women's program. It was the turning point in my life where I decided that I knew the gospel was true with all my heart and I was gonna stick this out. No young women in my class, no members in my school, my daddy was the bishop, my grandpa the first councilor. I HAD to be good! What a blessing that was for me.
7. I was already on my 2nd car by this time. I had 2 wrecks that year and went through another car by the time I was 17. (All in all, my record is 3 totaled cars and 8 wrecks.)

I think being 16 was hard for me. I wrote in my journal one particularly hard day "If i ever get to relive my life, I will skip this year." The teenage years seem to be the ones that mold us. Like the toss up before a serve, it tells you where the ball will go. Good thing I became I great server.

5 comments:

  1. I barely remember being 16. I moved to Nebraska from Pennsylvania a few weeks before my 16th birthday, so it was all a bit awkward. I think I'll be more excited for my 26th honestly.

    (And I don't think I've ever seen Benny and Joon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated being sixteen to. I would never relive any age that falls between 9th and 12th grade. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW! I'm sorry you hated that time in life! But it made you better! The girls hated you because you got all the guys...THAT'S OBVIOUS! Girls are gay! Thank you for saying you thought you were going to marry all of your boyfriends at that time! HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete