Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sell Out

This time last year I wrote a post about how I was going to keep Santa Clause out of our Christmas traditions. Since then, I have had a change of heart. No it wasn't all the wonderfully "supportive" comments I received that convinced me. But having the girls at an age where they are aware of whats going on has made me realize that its not just about the over commercialized jingle crap. Yes, I am beyond sick of all the marketing junk towards little kids and the tearing away at the true meaning behind Christmas. But there is a reason why people listen to Christmas music as early as June and light up when they see a growing Christmas tree farm in September. Because there is a special spirit that is only around during the Holidays. Its kind of magical. And where I treasure principles of honesty and truth, there's something to be said about imagination and magic. And I just cant take that away from my girls. So call me a sell out if you will but I just have to leave Santa in Christmas for my babies.

Also I am looking for tradition ideas. What does everyone do for Halloween? Christmas? Thanksgiving? New Years?

3 comments:

  1. Josh and I were talking about this the other day. I absolutely love Christmas time and am the one listening to the music in June. He likes it, but thinks it has it's time and place and recognizes that can put a huge financial burden on families that don't have much. I grew up in a house that made Christmas a big deal without a lot of "stuff". We made fudge as a family, my mom played Christmas music all day long, we drove around and looked at Christmas lights, we made treats for neighbors, went to Temple Square to see the lights (obviously that's a Utah thing, but there's got to be big pretty building everywhere that put out lights) and read the story of the Savior's birth in the Bible.

    Those are the kinds of things I want to instill in my kids, not necessarily all the commercial crap with the "I want! I want! I want!" I've heard of the tradition of making ornaments for the tree each year- one for each kid. I really like that idea and think we'll start doing it.

    That's all I got and they're all about Christmas. That's obviously my favorite holiday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSSS!!!!! So glad you have decided to keep santa! ;) I have too many traditions to put on here....we'll talk Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our favorites for Christmas is having Christmas Eve be for Christ. We have a play that the kids put on and we love that. We read the Luke scriptures, sing carols (depending on time), let the kids open 1 present (new pj's always)and then have the Santa plate prepped. We try to keep Christmas Eve focused on the real meaning of Christmas. mom and dad Toone

    ReplyDelete