Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February....

Two years ago this month, Jared and I went on a cruise to Grand Cayman. It was a lot of fun but when we got back I was hit with some big news. My mom and dad were in Texas visiting my grandmother because it turned out she was diagnosed with a terminal cancer during our cruise week. I was devastated when I heard and I took it really hard. I get choked up now thinking about it....
Im very close to my Mamaw Peg. My family actually moved into their home while we were building our own home and she became such an important and pivotal person in my life. I can honestly say I would be on a different path without her guidance. She always encouraged me to move to Utah and find a "worthy handsome young man." She is the most wonderful example of love and servicel. I remember when I was about 17, after I gave a talk in a sacrament meeting at church she passed me a note that said "I want to be like you when I grow up." I still have that note, but its her I want to be like when I grow up. 
When I finally got to visit her after I heard the news, she looked so frail and was bald from the chemo. I just couldnt believe all this was happening, it felt like a horrible nightmare. But she has the best attitude and is honestly ready for whatever the Lord has planned for her. Ive since been able to see her about 3 or 4 times and she is as active and strong as I remember her being. 
Whenever February comes around I think about that awful phone call i got saying mamaw peg had lymphoma cancer and it makes me grateful for being able to be apart of her lineage and her life. It is so short and so fragile.....


This is my mamaw peg, me and papa skip. Two of my most favorite people on this planet.


She is such a tower of faith and strength. I love you mamaw!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ashlee. You made me boob. Very sweet post.

    ReplyDelete